Sunday, February 19, 2017

Week 5 Prompt


Week 5 Prompt


I.  Different publications review different types of books and they allow different types of conversations… How does this effect collection development?

It sounds like it’s a challenging endeavor to develop a cohesive, yet diverse collection because of the different reviewer’s approaches to book reviews.  I don’t know how they do it!  I don’t have any experience creating a collection but I think if I know which publication does what then that will help me to determine which ones to use to help development my collection. 

II.  Do  you feel they are both reliable?  How likely would you be to buy this book for your library?  Is this ebook even romantic suspense?

Reliable?  If I was just a person who was just looking for a good book to read, I think it would be all right.  Yes, I would be misinformed about the genre but that can be easily corrected.  Now if I was a librarian building a collection, I am not sure I would rely solely on a blog and an Amazon review (I have heard that some reviewers get paid to review) to purchase books for my library.  I would like to add if the blog was from a reliable source such as a librarian, I would still want to pursue other sources just to make sure it is a book that belongs in my collection. 

III.  How do these reviews make you feel about the possibility of adding Angela’s Ashes to your collection?

The Kirkus Review, Library Journey Review and Booklist Review publications are well known and reliable sources to obtain reviews about books so I would definitely order copies of this inspirational memoir by Frank McCourt.  I would like to add that the other example with the Amazon review and blog could have been written in the style like this reviews but I still would have wanted to seek out other resources because I wasn’t sure they were reliably.

IIII.  Do you think it’s fair that one type of book is reviewed to death and other types of books get little to no coverage?  How does this affect a library’s collection? Any how do you feel about review sources that won’t print negative content?  Do you think that’s appropriate? If not, how do you feel about reviews for personal reading, and what are some of your favorite review sources?

No, it isn’t fair but that it how it use to be for indie/independent movies versus blockbuster ones.  It’s changed a lot and I feel book reviewing will be evolving as well.  I don’t think this fact should make any difference accept it’ll just be more challenging to find the ones you want but currently aren’t well known as yet.  It’s their choice not to print negative content just like it’s my choice to read it or not!  Personally, I like how there are different choices out there for us either to use or ignore.  I don’t have any specific review sources.   

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment